Sunday 15 January 2012

In My Mailbox 8: Kindle Special

Just like many others, I spent some of the lazy post-Christmas days adding to my Kindle books collection, with no small amount of help from the 12 Days of Kindle promotion. Since this is quite a list, I'm going to try to restrain myself from rambling on! All links go to Amazon.

Crime (adult books)
The Crossing Places by Elly Griffiths
Devil-Devil by G W Kent
There's an 'interesting setting' vibe going on with these three (for me at least) - East Anglia ('back home' to me - gotta love the combination of familiar and shocking!); exotic island; English country house (and I love Beaton's Agatha Raisin series for light and cosy crime - like an endless sitcom where all the characters end up back where they started every time).

Women's (adult books)
Results Not Typical by Catherine Howard
Both of these were free when I downloaded them, and both are currently the grand sum of 77p! I read Talli Roland's over New Year and really enjoyed it. It's the first of hers I've read, as I haven't really got into chick lit before. It was a fun read, and Results Not Typical sounds like a great satire on the slimming industry.

Non-Fiction (adult books)
Tweeting the Universe: Tiny Explanations of Very Big Ideas by Marcus Chown and Govert Schilling
Writing a Novel with Scrivener by David Hewson
This is quite a mix of stuff I thought I could do with (a bit of Scrivener clarity - there's so much to get your head around) and stuff that sounded intriguing. So far, both of the others are great examples of dip-into non-fiction, which is brilliant on the Kindle when you've got a few spare minutes.

Children's and YA - Fantasy (including Urban and Dystopia) 
Frozen in Time by Ali Sparkes
Daughter of the Flames by Zoe Marriott
Paranormalcy by Kiersten White
The Future of Us by Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler
Unique by Alison Allen-Gray
The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater
The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson
Delirium by Lauren Oliver
There are some titles in here that I've had on my wishlist for ages, and others that I've only recently heard of. Quite a range though, from classic fantasy (albeit with a kick-ass female flavour) like Daughter of the Flames, to the intriguing The Future of Us where 1990s kids somehow get sight of their Facebook statuses from the future and can influence them. And how intriguing does Delirium's world where love is outlawed as craziness sound?

Children's and YA - Realism
This Is Not Forgiveness by Celia Rees
Fifteen Days Without a Head by Dave Cousins
Della says: OMG! by Keris Stainton
The Truth About Celia Frost by Paula Rawsthorne
Almost True by Keren David
Again, this is a mix of new titles and some that I've been after for a while, as well as being a mixture of 'gritty' realism and contemporary humour - sometimes in the same book.

I know this is a load at once, but hey, that's what Amazon vouchers are for, right? :) I'm bound to be reviewing at least some of these over the next few months.

3 comments:

  1. WOW! You've got one or two books there! I'm still humming and ahiing about this whole kindle business, but you sure are reading a LOT of books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really do love the Kindle, and I don't see any threat to 'real' books. It's saving me some shelf space, that's for sure, and is brilliant on the commute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow you are an eclectic reader. Enjoy your fabulous books

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...