Tuesday 17 April 2012

In My Mailbox 12



In My Mailbox is a meme run by The Story Siren, in which bloggers can share a peek at the lovely books they've acquired over the past week (or month, as the case may be ...)

In this instalment of IMM, the lovely ladies at Orion have sent me the following books for review:
Chomp by Carl Hiaasen, which sounds hilarious: reality TV, the Everglades and a TV star with an unrealistic self image.
The Queen by Richard Brassey - this was great fun and deceptively informative. The review is coming up on Friday.
Adventure Island 7: The Mystery of the Dinosaur Discovery by Helen Moss. I'm reading this with my 8 yr old at the moment, and we're loving it. Classic adventure-mystery for kids.
Adventure Island 8: The Mystery of the Drowning Man by Helen Moss
These all came from Orion Children's Books, are out now and are for under-12s. The Gathering Dark: The Grisha 1 by Leigh Bardugo is coming from Indigo at Orion in May and is a major US YA fantasy, published in the US as Shadow and Bone.

I've won:
Pendragon Legacy: Sword of Light by Katherine Roberts. This came from a contest at the fabulous Feeling Fictional blog and I was so excited to win it, as I've been watching the promo for this one for a while. It's an Arthurian fantasy, focused on the newly-invented Rhianna Pendragon (daughter of Arthur, who's been hidden away with the fairies). A grand fantasy adventure with a cool heroine - what's not to love?!

I've received (for Mother's Day)
The Retribution by Val McDermid (the latest Tony Hill novel)
The Calling of the Grave by Simon Beckett (the latest David Hunter)
Both of these are continuations of crime series that I enjoy (such well-trained children!) and I'm looking forward to curling up with these soon.

The Kindle Spring Sale was rather  helpful for enabling me to pick up some lovely YA novels that had come to my attention already. I was so excited to find these:
The Swan Kingdom by Zoe Marriott
The Girl in the Mask by Marie-Louise Jenson
Mortal Chaos by Matt Dickinson
Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein

I've purchased:
A Mystery for Megan (Buttercup Magic) by Abi Burlingham

and my daughter was thrilled to receive signed cover art from Abi (who is lovely. Follow her on Twitter: @AbiBurlingham)

I'll be reading and reviewing this too, once the little one's finished with it (which won't be long, I expect - she's loving it!)

3 comments:

  1. What a lot! The Pendragon Legacy looks right up Little M's street. She's a huge Melrine fan. And Code Name Verity appeals to both of us. Enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will love The Swan Kingdom and A Mystery for Megan. Both are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you ladies! The Pendragon Legacy sounds great and the book itself is gorgeous - pics really don't do it justice. It's a matt finish hardback that something has a pearlsed kind of finish. Stunning! Isn't it great having kids to share cool books with? My teen's just started listening to my recommendations. She loved Hollow Pike and Dark Parties.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...