Tuesday 21 February 2012

In My Mailbox 10



In My Mailbox is a meme run by The Story Siren, in which bloggers can share a peek at the lovely books they've acquired over the past week (or month, as the case may be ...)

In this instalment of IMM, I've received the following lovely books for review:

Someone Else's Life by Katie Dale: a heartwarming YA story full of twists and turns. I enjoyed this one immensely - see my review for more detail.
The Mourning Emporium by Michelle Lovric: children's historical fantasy set in Venice. I loved Talina in the Tower and have high hopes for this.
Lolly Luck by Ellie Daines: a charming children's contemporary novel. This was a great read, which I'll be reviewing on Friday.
Hope Road by John Barlow: the first in a new crime series set in Leeds, which I'm looking forward to reading.
Road to London by Barbara Mitchelhill: this children's historical is coming out in April. Elizabethan London, Shakespeare, adventure - who could resist?

I've won:
Full Dark House by Christopher Fowler
in a competition on Notes of Life, hosted by the lovely Nikki-Ann.
This is the first in a highly unusual crime series featuring Bryant and May of the Peculiar Crimes Unit. Reviews for this series feature adjectives like "offbeat", "quirky" and "eccentric", so I'm betting this will be fun!

and made the following purchases:
Medal Mayhem by Tamsyn Murray: the fourth Stunt Bunny book, linking classic SB madness to this year's Olympic excitement. My 8 yr old was so excited when this arrived and promptly made off with it.
How Beautiful the Ordinary: Twelve Stories of Identity edited by Michael Cart. These short stories explore a range of LGBT experience, in this collection for teens. I'll be reviewing this for Portrait of a Woman's LGBT week next week.
Writing for Children by Linda Strachan: unsurprisingly, a book about writing for children! Surprisingly comprehensive though, covering non-fiction as well as fiction, and explaining a lot of the business side of writing - contracts, royalties, ALCS, PLR etc.

2 comments:

  1. I am really enjoying Talina In The Tower too. I have just picked up The Undrowned Child, so I think The Morning Emporium will be next on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love children's books, so I might check out Talina In The Tower. I've read your review and it sounds really good, so I already wishlisted it. In my own IMM, I have several children's books as well, but they are old titles bought from thrift bookshops. Though old, they are still treasures. I hope you could drop by. Here's the link: http://www.nancycudis.com/2012/02/in-my-mailbox-my-five-weeks-or-so-worth.html

    New follower,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...